I won’t be giving out draft grades because we don’t know how any of these guys will play next season. So this will be a special, The Good, Bad and Ugly for the NBA Draft.
· The Timberwolves had a great draft. Of course they had the number 1 pick and got Karl-Anthony Towns but they also traded for point guard Tyus Jones. Yes I know they have Rubio but when he got hurt last season things did not run smoothly for the Wolves. Jones is a great addition to the team which allows Zach LaVine to play his natural shooting guard position.
· Calm down Knick fans their pick wasn’t that bad. People only have a problem with it because the guy is an international player. Personally I would have picked Justise Winslow or Emmanuel Mudiay. The Knicks picked the best prospect on the board and there is nothing wrong with that. More importantly they were able to get point guard Jerian Grant in a trade for Tim Hardaway Jr. The Knicks did need a point guard. Hopefully they can make some moves in free agency to add talent to the roster.
· The Miami Heat got the steal of the draft as Justise Winslow fell to them at 10. He is a defensive minded guy and they might need a small forward if Luol Deng leaves in free agency. Winslow does a little bit of everything and should be a great fit in Miami.
· I really like the Washington Wizards grabbing Kelly Oubre. Paul Pierce will most likely be leaving and although Otto Porter played well this pick can motivate him to continue to improve. Oubre has great size and can play multiple positions for a young Wizards team.
· The Charlotte Hornets made a couple of trades before the draft getting Nicolas Batum and Jeremy Lamb. Those were good moves but I don’t understand the Frank Kaminsky pick here. He’s not a defensive player so he won’t fit well with Al Jefferson. They could have gone with a more versatile pick by grabbing Trey Lyles.
· I know the Sixers grabbed the best player available but they didn’t need another big man. They have Nerlens Noel, Joel Embiid and Jahlil Okafor. Embiid might not play next season so Okafor can step right in and contribute. Noel is a defensive minded player that will help Okafor. However the Sixers will most likely be in the lottery again next year so they could have grabbed Emmanuel Mudiay because they really need a point guard.
· The Utah Jazz are doing it again, stock piling big men. A few years ago they had Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. They now have Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert, Trey Lyles and they want Paul Millsap back. Adding another wing would have been better.
· Oklahoma City went with another point guard. It’s not a terrible pick but a shooting guard that could actually knock down a shot would help. Their starting point guard Andre Roberson can’t shoot, Dion Waiters is not reliable and their only knock down shooter is Anthony Morrow. Payne should be a solid backup with a few spectacular moments.
· What exactly were the Boston Celtics trying to accomplish in this draft? They already have Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley and Isaiah Thomas so why did they draft Terry Rozier? He wasn’t even the best point guard on the board. They have enough guards on this roster and then they draft R.J. Hunter with their next pick. A Justin Anderson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson or even Sam Dekker would have been a great pick here. They needed some help on the wing.
· James Harden said he could use some help handling the ball. There were three solid point guards on the board and the Rockets went with Sam Dekker. Tyus Jones would have been a great pick here. A pass first point guard who can knock down shots off the pick & roll. Dekker is a good player but how will he fit on this Rockets team?
· Memphis has always had problems shooting three pointers. They need to add shooters. Instead of grabbing R.J. Hunter who was the best available shooter they picked another big man in Jarell Martin. The Grizzlies are always knocked out in the playoffs because they can’t hit enough threes but for some reason they passed on another shooter. They picked up Andrew Harrison but he’s not the better shooting Harrison brother.
· Does the Devin Booker pick mean the Suns won’t resign Brandon Knight or Gerald Green? Does this mean that Archie Goodwin will continue to sit on the bench? Will Reggie Bullock crack the rotation? Booker is a good player and a big shooting guard but they could have used some size in the front court.